Thursday, January 15, 2009

FIRST OF MANY



I've meaning to write a post for awhile but couldn't think of anything. Not that stuff isn't going on...it's just little stuff here and there. However, I have to write some of the "small stuff", mainly of Nate, because I don't want to miss it. He is changing so rapidly, I can barely keep up. After being immersed in the adult world for so long, you forget what kids see and process in their world. Things that no one ever tells you because it's part of the learning process but it's fascinating to me.

It seems like overnight he went from saying "Momma" to "I help you Momma!" or "Airplane" to "I see a airplane!" His world is making more sense to him and he's stoked about it! He's started recognizing letters and numbers and will point them out on everything he sees....signs, doors, magazines. Our excursions consist of him shouting out letters he recognizes..it amazes me every time. What's interesting to me is he reads his letters left to right instead of right to left and he'll say "C-a" instead of "C" or "B-a" instead of "B". Another thing I didn't know kids do as they learn.

He is talking like crazy! In the car seat he is a non-stop chatterbox..talking to himself or telling us names of objects he sees along the road. I don't notice it too much until I'm on the phone and then I realize how much he's doing it! Forget about telling him "Sshhhh!' It's like he can't help but talk!

His ability to grasp or understand things and retain that information has greatly improved. I can tell him things once and he'll get it. Sometimes, we test him to see how much he is able to handle. Like the other day, he was helping me unload the dishwasher so I put him on a chair, set the silverware basket in front of him and told him where to put the different utensils. He immediately began putting all the little spoons together, the big spoons, all the forks in the proper slots, etc. He was so careful and precise about it too....too funny!

He's also started to pretend play..another first. He was drawing on his Magna Doodle and I asked "What's that?" He proudly said "Horsey!" Then he was building with his cardboard bricks and I asked "What are building?" He said "Train tracks!" Love it!

Just this week he started figuring out how to pedal his Smart Cycle. He tries on his little tricycle but it has more resistance and he's not quite there yet...but it won't be long.

Along with the learning firsts comes the inevitable "owies". Today he had his first good one. He was playing by his Smart Cycle and I heard a crash..like he fell...then a "WaaaahhhHHHHhhh!" I went over to him and he was sitting on the floor, crying and clutching his chin and rocking back and forth in pain. At first I thought he'd bruised his chin but he did better than that. Somehow he landed on something and got a quarter inch gash in his chin. It actually looks like a "v". Nothing really looked disturbed so I can only assume he fell on one of his toys. I doctored it up..he's a good clotter..not much bleeding at all. But it looks nasty. To top it off, he kept saying "Sorry Momma! I sorry!" Sorry for what, I have no idea...unless he was doing something he wasn't supposed to and that's how he got hurt. Well like I said...one of many to come.

Potty training is another issue....translation...not happening. ha. He'll sit on his potty but nothing comes out. All in good time. It's fun seeing him grow and I love, love, lovethat he likes to hug me and is content to rest his head on my shoulder with his arms around me. I'm savoring that because I know it won't last.

*sigh* Good times.

3 comments:

Pat Ramos said...

Yes, once they start talking it's no stopping them now!! Changes come by the minutes and maybe even seconds with him! Always something new and adventuresome with children. Keep working on the potty it will come.

Sharon said...

Bailey is not really potty training either. I have been baffled. She is staying steady for the last 7 months. Sometimes she goes on the potty most not. Oh well. It will probably haoppen all in one day!

I love that he is talking so much. I hope you do a video so we can hear! I am terrible at videos and need to do anotehr.

Love the shot!!

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Zoom-Zoom! They grow so fast! Hold him while you can! It seems like Diego grew up over night... he's not a baby (teeny toddler) anymore... :( but I guess it really is a good thing!