Saturday, January 31, 2009

CHINESE NEW YEAR FUN

Today we went down to the Tucson Chinese Cultural center for their family new year festival. The place was totally PACKED! I mean wall to wall people and I don't think they anticipated so many families. Nate was completely overwhelmed and he just looked around wide-eyed, not saying a word to try and process everything. We stood in an incredibly long line for some really great chinese food....ok, Don stood in line, I took Nate to watch the dancers and other activities. I love all the chinese costumes and the little girls with decorations in their hair. They had fun games and things for sale/auction. We put a bid on a lion puppet that was really awesome. It was a popular item so I doubt we'll win but it was fun to try. We were there only 2 hours before Nate gave out. He didn't fall asleep but he broke down because he was so overstimulated and exhausted. I dressed him in his chinese outfit....the biggest one I got in China and the symbols on it mean "double happiness", which is also the meaning of Chongqing (the city where he was born). I'm looking forward to next year when he'll have more energy and be able to enjoy it even more. Here's some fun pics!


I seriously thought about building this...it's just a big 'ol cardboard box!


Big chinese boy!


Good throw Nate!


Dragon heads


Traditional chinese painting


Making chinese dumplings

This was a small portion of the packed crowd. My camera couldn't get them all!

Mmmmm!



This guy was telling us about the dragon coming to see us at 2:00! In chinese time, that means 3:00. ha.

Oranges are for good luck and propserity.


This was the lion puppet we bid on.

3 comments:

Pat Ramos said...

Glad you had a fun day. I love Nate's outfit. Looked like there was plenty of food for everyone!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Nate looks great in his outfit! What a fun celebration--it looks like he had a very fun time!

RamblingMother said...

what a fun party! congrats on the lion win!