Friday, May 9, 2008

NBC SAYS I'M A NON-MOM!!!

Usually I try to take things on the internet with a grain of salt. But this one really ticked me off. I'm on Cloud 9 getting ready to celebrate my very FIRST Mother's Day! I really don't care about getting things...just the thought that this Mother's Day will be the best one of my entire life...one that I will never be able to repeat.

And then I run across this.....NBC is hosting "America's Favorite Moms" contest. Right there on the home page is the All-American photos of Donny & Marie Osmond holding a bouquet of flowers. They have America's moms lumped into categories for the contest and as I'm reading them...lo & behold...NBC decided to classify adopted moms in the "Non-Mom" category!!

Now as a woman who will never be able to give birth, this was like a slap in the face. My son is my son...whether I gave birth to him or not...whether I received him as a baby or toddler...it doesn't matter. He's my child, my baby. Shame on NBC for telling me I'm a "Non-mom". I feel like taking on my parent's baby boomer roots and protesting! ha! Here's the link to it: NON-MOMS

What a way to really make the adoptive world P.O.'d. Well that's my beef today. I'm still going to enjoy my Mother's Day!

4 comments:

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

That is really disappointing! Well, you'll be happy to know that the voices of those supporting adoption made a loud complaint so loud--that they changed the title of that category as Adopting Mom now. Where in the world would they come up with "non-mom?" That doesn't even make sense--maybe it was the Osbornes that came up with that one...hmph!

Hoping you have a fab Mami's Day! From one Mami to the other!

RebeccaB said...

My name is Rebecca, and I work with Edelman on behalf of Teleflora’s “America’s Favorite Mom” program. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this issue. After closer examination, Teleflora recognized how this may have been offensive to moms who have adopted children… moms who are indeed real moms in every sense of the word. This show of insensitivity was in no way intended and Teleflora offers its deepest apology. It was always Teleflora’s intent to salute and celebrate all moms.

Please know that in response the concerns expressed, Teleflora immediately change the name of the “Non-Mom” category to “Adopting Moms,” which has already been posted at AmericasFavoriteMom.com.

On behalf of Teleflora, I would like to offer my sincerest best wishes to you on this Mother’s Day.

Finally a Family of Four said...

What a bunch of crap!!!
I am glad that Teleflora changed it though.
Sounds like things are going well with Nate. We are in an uphill swing as well.
Take Care
Renee

RamblingMother said...

Wow that Rebecca found your blog. I didn't even justify it on mine but I wasn't all that appreciative. When Glenys is older I am going to have her nominate me in all three categories, adopting, single and plain ole mom, heh.

Happy Mother's Day.