Friday, June 6, 2008

HAPPY "REFERRAL" ANNIVERSARY!!





One year ago today, our phone rang and before I could get to it, the answering machine came on. I heard our adoption agent's voice saying something about how our referral came in and our child was beautiful....and on and on...but the words didn't register. We'd waited so long, the word "referral" sounded unbelievable. Suddenly it hit me like a brick wall. We were getting our child! I will never forget how a wave of excitement, panic and confusion hit me all at once. Don wasn't home and I wanted him to be there so I called him up and he said "I'll be home in 10 minutes!" (he was 20 minutes away. haha).

He raced home and we got everything set up on the table...the video camera, the phone on speaker and we were on pins and needles...almost aching to hear our agent's voice. But instead, we got her answering maching....7 TIMES (I think...it felt like forever!) Finally we got through and she began telling us the bits and pieces that she knew about our child, and then the most awesome news of all...

...WE WERE GETTING A BOY!!!!

We didn't even have a name picked out because we totally expected a girl. The rest of the day was spent calling up family to spread the exciting news. We were floating in a dreamworld going to the store to pick out special congratulation gifts for our parents and just not knowing what to do next. Our 2-1/2 year wait was over.

Our son's chinese name is Qian Li Wang (Beautiful King). And his American name is "Nathaniel Owen Li" which means "Our Gift from God - Beautiful Warrior". Sometimes we just stare at him wondering how we became so lucky to be given such a beautiful perfect son.

We love you Nate. You are the most awesome gift in the world.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy 1 Year! Its hard to believe it has been a year- how time flies. You all look great!

Pat Ramos said...

WOW!!!...I remember that call coming to us, time sure does fly by fast. He is the most beautiful Chinese boy that I've seen!! Maybe just because he's my grandson! Enjoy that ice cream for me too!
Love,
Grandma Ramos

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

What a beautiful name, Denise, for a beautiful son! Congrats! He is gorgeous! So much worth the wait, ey??? Congrats!

Sam said...

This is such a great story...

Amy said...

What a fantastic story! I can't imagine having to go through all of that! He is so beautiful! You have been so blessed! :)

Stacie said...

Happy Referral-versary! Nate is adorable! It does go by fast, doesn't it? Oh, and how funny that we have the same Fami-versary! :)

RamblingMother said...

Happy Referral anniversary!!