Friday, June 20, 2008

DATE NIGHT

I forgot to post about our date night! We dropped Nate off at our friends house. He looked around with big eyes like, "I'm not sure what to think about being here". Then he ran to me as we were walking out the door and started crying. We've learned not to let that get to us because as I found out (and is always the case), he cried for like 3 seconds after we left and then started playing.

We went to the Olive Garden for dinner and had a nice time. Funny though..it's been awhile since we've been out because we didn't know what to talk about! We started talking about Nate at first but quickly changed the subject because we're ALWAYS talking about Nate. So....silence for awhile as we tried to think of other things to discuss. I remember the dating days when it seemed like we NEVER had enough time to talk. What in the world did we talk about then???

We sat down at the table and had Stuffed Mushroom appetizers, which were very tasty, and Don had the mixed grill and I had soup and salad. I love Olive Garden's salad and breadsticks. Finally we ended up talking about our childhood (just can't get away from kids!) and by the time dinner was over, we felt like we were just barely getting started. It felt so strange to be out by ourselves..together...without a kid to worry about. I felt like I forgot something..sort of the same way you go off and forget your cell phone or purse.

We were glad to see our boy again, but sad at the same time that we couldn't spend a little more time together. I think we definitely need to spend a few more quality date nights together instead of one every 6 months! What do your baby sitters charge? Out here, they charge $6-$10 per kid, per hour. By the time you pay for a sitter and a movie or dinner, you're plunking down $50-$80! Ouch! It was very generous of our friends to INSIST on giving us a freebie but we often feel guilty about doing that so we never ask people to babysit (we have no family here either). Kind of a Catch-22.

Anyway...it was great to get out and about. If we weren't so stuffed from dinner, it would've been nice to get ice cream afterwards. ha!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I can remember our first date when we got back with Levi (our second). I think it was a four or 5 months before we went out on this date. Very similar experience as far as "what do we say to each other".
Weird how things change. I think to be honest though as the night went on we felt like high school kids sneaking out in the middle of the night. Fun times....glad you all could get out!

Unknown said...

I can remember our first date when we got back with Levi (our second). I think it was a four or 5 months before we went out on this date. Very similar experience as far as "what do we say to each other".
Weird how things change. I think to be honest though as the night went on we felt like high school kids sneaking out in the middle of the night. Fun times....glad you all could get out!

Pat Ramos said...

Babysitting charges sure have gone up!! What has happened to the $1.00 to $2.00 an hour charge?? Sorry Grandma can't be there!! Glad you had a good time.

MOM

Sarah said...

We too have only been out twice since being home and you DO feel like you have forgotten something. I was looking forward to seeing Grace when we go home- I missed her! Ah, babysitters- try between $10 and $20 an hour out here. No, I am not joking. Teenagers command less because they are not as exerienced, or maybe just need the cash. As if daycare costs weren't enogh! We have been lucky and have had family both times.

Don and Denise Sullivan said...

HOLY COW Sarah! I will stop complaining now. haha.

Sam said...

D,

This was a great post. It is so very important for new parents and old, to get out and share some alone time with each other Chanda and I are lucky since we have Friday's off, we can sometimes put Alyssa in pre-school and enjoy a date day!

Angel said...

We have used friends ever since we had children. Find a couple of couples who have kids about the same age as Nate. Then take turns watching each other's kids. We had a couple in Philly that I would watch their's on Friday and they would watch our's on Saturday about 2 times a month. Then we would get out at least twice a month!It runs about $10 here to use a sitter.

McKillip Family said...

Holy Crap. Maybe I'll start babysitting for 10 bucks an hour j/k. Seriously though, I'm not paying someone MORE than min wage (tax free to boot) to be with my kid for a few hours.
My mom watches her about 3 times a month for me to run errands, and about once every 2 or 3 months for Ian and I to go out. I feel guilty for asking her to watch Faith, since she has been watching/taking care of her other grandkids for the past 18 years, and still does.

RamblingMother said...

Yes keeping your relationship together is priority even with such a precious baby as Nate!

Finally a Family of Four said...

I love date nights. Doug and I are definetly in need of one, Badly.
Maybe we will attempt one in the net 2 to 3 weeks.
Hope the breadsticks and salad were delicious.
Renee

TulipGirl said...

We've done a lot of at-home dates, especially when the kids were much smaller. Picnics on the front lawn, pizza and dancing on the back porch, long talks over coffee or wine. . . Some of these dates were when the kids were asleep, some where when they were occupied with playing (or a video!) Now that we live near grandparents and the boys are older, we've had more going "out" dates or overnight dates.

Also, we've had "family dates"--taking the kids with us but making it more than just a family outing. It's been fun. *Grin*

Still there are many ways to continue to nurture the husband/wife relationship, even when "date nights" aren't practical.