Friday, June 13, 2008

FEELIN' BUGGY

I should've known...I knew I should have prepared ahead of time. But noooooo....I had to procrastinate. I was preparing lunch today when suddenly I saw Harvard jumping around, attacking his feet and chasing after something on the floor. "Oh greeaaat", I thought and sure enough I was right.

ANTS!! Those little buggers had 2 trails in our house..one by the dining room table (of course) and one in the laundry room by the dog food. I always know the monsoon is on it's way when the ants find THEIR way into our house. UGH!

Nate said his first sentence today! "I'm sorry"...although it sounds more like "I sor". He had a timeout this morning when he climbed onto the sofa and tried to stand up on the arms. I told him to sit down and he just stared at me as if he were waiting to see if I would make him sit. Well I did and he got mad and kicked at me and refused to listen, soooo....he earned his trip to the corner. After timeout was over, I told him again why he went into timeout and to say "I'm sorry". I really didn't expect it to happen but to my surprise he said it! "I sor". His first sentence. haha.

He's been spending more time in timeout lately because he'll refuse to follow an instruction or get mad about it and push us or whatever's in front of him away or he'll throw his toys. We're trying to curb this behavior because we don't want him to start doing this to other people. Part of it is his need for everything to have a certain order or routine. If something is "off" to him, he expresses his frustration by throwing, crying, pushing or kicking. The other part of it is just wanting to do things his way. There's no bargaining here. He gets one warning and then immediate consequence if he chooses not to follow. One thing that's nice is that he always stays in timeout. At least since he was 15 months, so we don't have to constantly put him back in it. He always complies after the timeout is over and then he laughs, smiles and goes back to his play like nothing happened. Kids are funny.

No comments: