Tuesday, March 25, 2008

STRANGE WEEK

This has been a weird week so far...not bad, just weird. Monday, Don went fishing so I took Nate shopping (haha) What was weird about the day is how compliant he was. We have been struggling over the last few months to get him to walk more on his own instead of carrying him everywhere. For one, he's a big boy and it's too hard to hold him for very long and two, he needs to learn to walk more on his own anyway. So, we've tried to be consistent, firm and loving every time he's tested us on this. On Monday, I took him to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast and automatically tensed up preparing to deal with a tantrum when I told him I wanted him to walk with me. Instead, he got out of the car all happy and walked all the way up to the table with me. Not only that but he willingly walked everywhere else we went that day, reaching out for our hands. He also did not cry ONCE the entire day. That's amazing considering he barely got a nap and had meals later than usual. He was just so mellow.

I finally got around to applying for his social security card too. Kept forgetting about it. After waiting an hour & a half, I brought all my paperwork to the window and the guy kept insisting that I did not have the correct document. I protested, telling him this is all we received but he barely looked at them and I couldn't figure out what he was wanting. He was about ready to send me home when another employee intervened and told him that the document he was holding was what he needed. Then the guy looked at me and said, "This is what I was asking for". I'm thinking...then why were you telling me it was incorrect??!!! ARGGHH!

Then, while I was waiting for him to complete the paperwork, Nate was getting antsy and started running off. I told him to sit down under the counter and stay there until we were done. He started to get up, so I told him "no" and also gave him the sign for "no", which is basically the peace sign and then you bring your 2 fingers down over your thumb. He stayed put until it was time to leave. As I walked out the door, a man asked me, "What were you telling the child when you did this?"...and he extended his arm with his hand clenched in a fist. I couldn't figure out what he meant and thought he was asking if I did a fist bump with Nate. Then I realized what he meant and I told him I was saying "no" in sign language to him and showed him the sign for it. The guy asked me "That means "No"???"...as if he didn't believe it. That's when I realized I think he thought I was threatening Nate with my fist!! Good grief...I can't even tell my child "no" in public and use sign language without someone questioning my actions. Needless to say, I was glad to leave that office.

Ever since Monday, Nate has been very good about walking with us in public and walking over to one of us to kiss us goodnight before bed (yes that was a daily struggle too which resulted in tantrums). Now that we've overcome this obstacle, another one pops up. This time, he's starting to push our hands away and he gets upset if he sees us sitting together or hugging each other in front of him. He starts crying and tries to push or pull our hands off...almost as though he's jealous that we're showing attention to each other but not to him at the moment. So we have to work on that behavior. He's also not wanting to eat his veggies anymore which results in longer meal times because he can't get down until he's eaten most of them or sometimes a timeout if he flat out refuses and starts crying. The challenges of "training up a child in the way he should go"!

On the good side, he is learning and progressing in so many ways. He and Harvard are starting to become buddies. Harvard will lay on his blanket chewing on his toy and Nate will climb onto him and sit on his back like he's a horse. This doesn't last for long because Harvard will buck him off and Nate just gets up laughing. So Harvard lies down on a different corner of the blanket and the whole thing starts over again. It's hilarious. I can't stop staring at him because it seems that every month, he just gets even more beautiful and adorable.

4 comments:

RamblingMother said...

You know you got to pick your battles and of course you have to win which ever battles you pick but I am begging you as a picky eater, don't make food an issue. Or maybe let him "help" you cook the veggies he may eat more. I eat a whole lot more veggies now than I ever did as a child but I didn't like how my mom cooked them then. I like a myriad of foods now but wouldn't have eaten them at home. He will learn. I agree have them try them first and win the battle but not so much with food. I also realize, Nate is not me but I also remember lots of battles I won when my parents picked food as the battle ground.

The SS office experience is very normal across the country. They don't seem to know the rules they set for getting the card!!

Beverly

RamblingMother said...

Oh and don't you just LOOOOVVVVEE people who tell you how to parent? ;}

beverly

Finally a Family of Four said...

I had problems at the Social Security office as well. I think that the people who work there are such hags. I am glad that is done and over with.
I am happy to say that we are in a good stage with Lily, I admit she has been a challenge for quite awhile. However, in the last month I can see a definite change in her behavior. Just remember toddlerhood comes and goes in stages. There will be good and bad, just enjoy each one for what they are because time flies.
Renee

Don and Denise Sullivan said...

Here's the funny thing about Nate and veggies....he only eats them all (without issue) if they have curry powder on them! Which is fine with us because we love curry too, but I think that's kind of funny. I mean, how many kids like curry?

I've given him those packaged toddler meals before and he won't eat the veggies until I put curry powder or some other seasoning on them. Frankly I don't blame him. I've tasted those veggies and they're tasteless.