Wednesday, March 26, 2008

NEW ART

I recently finished creating several new collections of artwork. Some of them have garnered interest from a few manufacturers and my agents are drawing up contracts for a couple! Yea!! Nearly all of my art is created in Photoshop. I love that program because you can do so many funky things with it. These files are massive. Just one of the butterfly images is 165 MB!! Below are images of my recent art....just click on the image to see a larger size.

I went to the Tucson Botanical Gardens a couple years ago and took a bunch of butterfly photos at one of their exhibits. I never know exactly how I'm going to use something but eventually, they ended up on these designs.

"NEW FLIGHT" BUTTERFLY COLLECTION


The shells were some that I collected years ago. Every year, when I was a kid, we had a shell box that my family took with us and we always added to the collection. I still love to comb the beach looking for shells so that's how this art evolved.


"DEL MAR" SHELL COLLECTION

The southwest art came about because I don't really like much of the sw art I see out here. I wanted it to have more of a travel feel...sort of Route 66ish but more modern. The images are all from photos I took out here in the desert.

"DESERT LIFE" COLLECTION


It's really interesting to me how I got into this business to begin with. God had everything to do with it. In fact, our church motto this year is "Try God's Stuff and See What Happens". After we moved to Tucson, I could not get a job to save my life....and I NEVER had a problem getting an art job before. Every job led me closer to my goal as an Art Director, which I eventually achieved, but moving to Tucson was a reality check. Finally, I sent in an app for a graphic designer position...a demotion that slashed my salary in half. For whatever reason, the company decided to hire me and I began working for a manufacturer in the gift industry. I have to admit though, that I could not understand why God opened the door. Instead of being grateful at first, I was frustrated. After awhile, I decided there must be a reason why I was here and started being a little more appreciative of the work I had. Funny thing is....God knew EXACTLY what I needed. I learned about the licensing industry from the manufacturer's viewpoint, their marketing decisions and the type of art they look for. I also met my future agent through them right before I left to pursue my fine art, just 8 months later. So within a year, God blessed me with more than just a foot in the door, he gave me wisdom and insight to the industry that was to become my career....all through an open door that I was reluctant to take.

You just never know where God is going to lead you or how he is going to use you until you "try His stuff and see what happens".

1 comment:

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

I was just scrolling down from the post of Nate and his new fave food, and thought, I wonder what kind of photo program she uses! I've wanted to get into photography since college. Had a art major for a roommate who is a photographer. Met up with a few adoptive moms who are photographers on the coast here. One told me about "elements"-a beginner program. What do you know about this program? Or should I save my money and get photoshop?

Love your artwork! It is wild how God STRATEGICALLY places us! Even when we don't understand it! His word says that he elevates the humble, and your career is evidence of such...May your work take you places never imagined, and each piece of art resemble the Father's glory, and others be touched by His love!

Keep up the great work, sister! (Sorry for the long post!)