Monday, March 17, 2008

GREEN POTATOES AND OTHER IRISHisms


When I was a kid, I read a story about a girl who dyed her mashed potatoes blue. So, in my infinite childhood wisdom, I thought that was an interesting idea and one day, I dyed the mashed potatoes green. I can't remember if it was a St. Patty's day but it must have been for me to do that. I thought I was being clever and funny but as soon as I put the mashed potatoes on the table, my parents just about hit the roof! "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??!!!!" they exclaimed and looked at me as if I had lost my mind. I thought I was still being clever and funny so I said, "I dyed the potatoes green! They still taste the same, they're just green." Actually I was guessing on the taste but I thought it couldn't be much different than dyeing frosting. Unfortunately, my sales technique didn't work and my parents weren't buying it. I got a good tongue lashing for that stunt and to my surprise, nobody ate the potatoes! *Sigh*

Being as Don is a "Sullivan", every St. Patricks Day we have a traditional Irish dinner. It's one of those rare occasions that he gets potatoes instead of rice. ha! For the last several years we've invited a bunch of friends over to celebrate with us. This year, St. Patty's fell on our day off...translation....we sit around and stare at the tv for most of the day because we're totally wiped out from Sunday's events. So this year we're having the same traditional foods but just relaxing with our family. I made Irish Lamb Stew for lunch and the corned beef and cabbage is simmering in the crockpot. Mmmmm........smells good!! Normally I also make Irish Soda Bread and sometimes bread pudding or apple cake but I forgot to get all the ingredients for the stuff and am too lazy to drag my butt to the store. So we may or may not have those things tonight. However, I do have blackberry cobbler in the oven which sounds pretty darn good to me right now. It's been cold, rainy and bleary out for the last 2 days......perfect weather for a hearty Irish stew! One of these days, we would love to travel to Ireland, stay in a country farmhouse and explore the counties.

Last night we had the sex Q&A and it went really well. I was totally nervous. It's one thing to talk about the subject and another to answer very personal questions and concerns that people submitted. I felt like I wasn't doing a very good job speaking so I am thankful that there were other people up there who had wise comments to offer. However, people seemed to like how everything went and the previously homosexual couple who presented their testimony and struggles were well received. They are a having a benefit concert to kick off their HIV-AIDS ministry in June and several people said they wanted to attend. The Q&A will be posted on our church website soon: www.prcctucson.org and if you scroll to the bottom of the webpage and click on "Listen to Sermons", you can download the sermon you want to hear.

Well, I have to get back to house cleaning and laundry. Keep putting it off and it's become a jungle in our house. I might take a break at some point and knit up a few irish cables for Nate's sweater. Until next post, here's an Irish blessing for you in the spirit of St. Patty's:

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

No comments: