Friday, February 1, 2008

ROCKET MAN



A few days ago, a friend's dad took Don up for an UltraLite flight. Don took some video but said he had hard time working the camera with thick gloves on (it was cold up there!) Anyway he had a good time...he's always wanted to learn how to fly a plane.

I always get a little nervous about these things...even though, if it were me, I'd want to do it too. I've always had some tomboy in me. When I was a kid, my brother and I used to climb my grandparent's trees with my 4 boy cousins. They were chinaberry trees and we used to have battles where we'd throw the berries at each other. Those hard chinaberries stung like fire against our bare legs in the summer time. Fortunately, my mom never seemed concerned when we were swinging from the trees, climbing on the roof of grandma's house (which we discovered we could reach from the highest tree branches), or walking on the top of our wooden fence.

I don't think I'll have a problem of being too overprotective of Nate. I remember going to Disneyland with a small group from our old church and the only kid who was crying and pitching a fit about the rides was a 9 year old boy. He was the oldest of the group. The girls were having a blast! Needless to say, his mom was little disgusted with all the drama. When we got our referral, I picked up a copy of "The Dangerous Book for Boys". I love it and I think I will be competing with Don to do a bunch of the stuff with Nate. It's funny to see him play with our Boston Terrier, Harvard. He'll squeal loudly, throw himself on Harvard's blanket and Harvard will drag him around the room. He's trying to talk more and even "reads" his books and looks at them longer. He'll say "Harvoo" for Harvard, "Dad", "Hey" and other things that I'm not quite sure what they are yet. When I take him to praise team practice, I'll bring his drum and he'll pound on it while we're playing and clap when the song is finished. They tease me that he'll be a drummer instead of bass guitarist like his mom. ha! I always liked drums anyway.

Of course I say all this while he's rolling around on the floor whining and getting very close to a crying fit....whoops, I spoke too soon. Here it comes! Almost bedtime and he's letting me know it.

No comments: