Friday, February 8, 2008

POTSTICKERS


Yup! I done did it. However, you won't be seeing me on the Martha Stewart show anytime soon. Everything went pretty good as I was mixing the stuffing for the potstickers today. That was the easy part. Then I started rolling out the dough..which wasn't going too well with a mungo rolling pin, so I opted for a small juice glass instead. Ok...that worked out pretty good...so did assembling the potstickers. My pinched seams weren't very neat but then, who cares? It's only us right?

So far so good...that is until I followed the next round of directions on the recipe. I heated up my pan and put the oil in. "A few sparks, a whiff of ozone"....and the pan blazed in a firey glory! YIKES!! For a second I stood there trying to remember my mom's words about putting out stove fires so I pushed the pan off the burner, ran and grabbed the baking soda and doused it in big puff of white powder. That's when my hubby (who watches all the cooking shows and knows a thing or two) said that the recipe was wrong and I need to heat up the oil WITH the pan. DOH!

Ok...round 2. So the oil starts heating up but now my new pan is still too hot. I put the potstickers in and they immediately start "sticking". Then I follow the rest of the recipe and pour in a 1/2 cup of water. However, I have water that's too hot and it's popping like crazy out of the pan. I put the pan lid in front of me like a shield and slam it over the potstickers. Now they're supposed to basically steam for 5 minutes but since my pan was too hot, the fried side is totally charred.

Ok...round 3. Now that I'm this much wiser, I turn down the heat and the next 2 batches of potstickers turn out better. I would use a different dipping sauce than in the recipe though. The sesame seed oil in it made it taste kind of smoky and I like it with a hint of sweetness. Oh and the potstickers tasted awesome! (the non-charred ones that is.) ;-D

3 comments:

Suz said...

Those look amazing!!!!!
Happy Chinese New Year!

Anonymous said...

I saw your post on "waiting for carolyn" & thought I would say "Hi"
Terri

Suz said...

Hola from Phoenix, I joined a couple new CHI Yahoo groups and began clicking away at blogs while my hubby was doing homework. Somewhere along the way I ran across you all and saw that you were in AZ too. Your son is so handsome, congratulations!!!
Suz