Tuesday, February 26, 2008

KNIT WIT


I have been in a major knitting mood lately. My problem is that I like fast results so I usually stick to making baby stuff. We have 3 baby girls-to-be in our church in April & May and of course there's always stuff to knit for Nate. I started making him a white cotton pullover sweater to wear for spring or the beach or in the fall. It's slightly big so he'll still be able to wear it when he turns two. I love Debbie Bliss patterns and this one has a fun cable pattern with lots of texture. I went to the fabric store today but unfortunately, boys patterns are almost non-existent. And the ones they do have are seriously lacking any hip or trendy styles. I bought some fun Hawaiian fabric in Kauai a couple years ago that I think I will make a shirt out of for Nate. I took Home Ec classes in high school but threw away everything I attempted to make. Then I went home, did it my own way and sewed a lot of my own clothes. My teacher wasn't open to thinking outside of the box!

A few years ago, I knitted a zip up, cabled sweater jacket and learned a very important lesson about dye lots...i.e. make sure the numbers are all the same. I ran out of yarn in the middle of the front piece and started with a different dye lot. It looked the same color to me in the dim, living room lighting. But when I finished the piece, I took it outside and it was totally obvious it was a different color. I was so frustrated but there was nothing to do but rip out the new yarn and start over with the correct color. By the way, if you want to sew or knit, you better enjoy ripping out seams or yarn! I don't know how many times I've started a knitting project, didn't like the way it was going and ripped it all out to do a new one. ha!

Maybe I should re-think this quilt idea. :-O

6 comments:

Kayce said...

I so wish I could knit. I just don't have the patience. I can't wait to see Nates sweater!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Yes I am very blessed to have my husband in my life. I cherish him so much and he too feels the same way. :)

Sharon said...

What a cute post.. i love the nit wit. Are you really rethinking the quilt? I will send an email for you adress to send the square and you let me know...

RamblingMother said...

I am impressed with your abilities. I refused to take home ec in school because I planned on being in the corporate world, no time for that domestic stuff. Of course now and have for a while I totally regret that decision!!

beverly

Lori said...

I love hand-knitted things. I bought a book and taught myself how to knit years ago, but I didn't keep it up and don't remember now anymore.
I do dew and I do own several well-used seam-rippers. :)

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

LOVE the white sweater pattern! It's going to be beautiful. I wish I had the patience to knit! You are so talented!

Sharon said...

Where are you?? Your quilt square is in the mail!!