Thursday, August 2, 2012

End of Summer Recipes

Every summer I think, "Hey! Time to do fun summer stuff!" Then I procrastinate, and before you know it, here it is...the end of summer and school starts next week. Now I'm suddenly trying to make up for lost time and lost moments. Argh! 

I've become obsessed with popsicles lately. Not the cheap, buy at the dollar store kind, but the "how can I experiment and come up with funky flavors" kind. I think it started when I went to a local Food Truck Roundup and came across a vendor called Cyclopsicles. He makes weird popsicle combos like Papaya/Ginger/Chili/Avocado (or something like that). The flavors were a bit strong (and a bit weird) for my taste but it sparked my interest in making my own. So I went out and bought some popsicle molds and made my first creation. I think I'll call it....hmmm...how about...

Big Island Sunset Popsicle

Juice 1/3 of a ripe pineapple
Juice 1 mango
Juice 3 tangerines
Mix in unsweet shredded coconut & some of juiced fruit mash.
Pour into molds

Oh. My. Gosh. Sweet tropical heaven!

Gourmet popsicle accomplished. Now I don't know about you but while I do enjoy a good salad, I get tired of eating them every day during the summer. In fact, I eat a decent size breakfast so I'm rarely famished for lunch. So in my "lightbulb moment", I decided "I'll make my homemade salsa for lunch!"

What an epiphany. And it was delish! Especially paired with On the Border chips.

Denise's Homemade Salsa

8-10 Roma tomatoes diced (Roma's are sweeter & just plain prettier)
1 onion diced
4-5 green onions minced
1 Tbls minced garlic
1 bunch of cilantro chopped
2 cans green chilis
2-4 serrano peppers (depends on your heat pref. Serranos taste better IMO)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp salt & sugar (to taste)

No comments: