Monday, October 22, 2012

Prayers for a Friend...


I just wanted to share this email I received from my friend and art agent, Karen. Karen has already lost her sister and mom to cancer and now facing another blow with her brother and father. This is her only family and yet I'm amazed and inspired by Karen's faith and her family's faith in Christ and courage through these battles. I honestly don't know how they would get through this without such a strong faith! Please remember them in prayer today. Thanks! -Denise

Dear family and friends,

I just wanted to give you an update on Terry since it has been a couple months since his last surgery…

Since his brain surgery at the end of August, Terry has had some complications due to pneumonia. He has been in the hospital for the past two weeks and has been having a very difficult time. After consultations with doctors, Terry and Erika have decided he should go home under Hospice care. 

His three wishes right now are:
  • To be in his home with Erika
  • To swallow
  • To be comfortable
I have been in Northern California for the past week and compared to when I arrived, Terry is breathing much more comfortably and the plan is that he will be going home tomorrow afternoon… so at least a couple of his wishes are coming true.   The swallowing issue is a big one…there is a large tumor pressing against his esophagus, which is not allowing him to swallow.  His cancer has spread throughout his body and at this point there are no more treatment options. 

He has fought this battle for two years now…He has been so strong, positive and brave throughout all the surgeries, PT and “come backs”…he has lived up to his title of “miracle man” after beating so many odds…he truly is an inspiration!!! All the things we typically take for granted like eating, walking, breathing, etc. are things he can no longer do or are slowly being taken away.  Unfortunately it seems that this horrible disease has the upper hand and he doesn’t have much more “fight”  or time left.  When he was told he could no longer eat, he told me he felt like this was just one more thing that was slowly being taken away from him. He has been through so much and it just breaks my heart that he has to go through this!! He has fought so very hard and I truly believe he has been hanging on for his beautiful wife, Erika. She is the love of his life and I don’t think he would have hung on nearly as long had it not been for her.   Please continue to pray for both of them as they go through these next few weeks together. Beside an incredible miracle of healing, please pray for their peace, comfort, and revelation to faith.  It is my hope and prayer that they would look to God for the peace and comfort that only He can provide.  

I would also ask you to pray for my dad…his health has not been good…he has been in an out of the hospital the past few weeks and now with facing the loss of his son after losing his daughter and wife only a few years ago it is extremely hard on him… I worry about him and how much more he can take.  We just celebrated his 83rd birthday today, but I know his heart is heavy with what the next few weeks will hold.

Thank you all for your continued love, support, friendship and prayers for my family. It is hard to believe that I am losing another sibling to cancer…it is almost too much to bare at times, but thanks to faith, love and support from dear family and friends, we will get through this.

I am hanging on to the following verses which give me strength and comfort…

“For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power.” Philippians 4:13

“After you have suffered, our God will give you His glory.  He will pick you up and set you firmly in place and make you stronger than ever.”  1 Peter 5:10,11

“He will wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying, nor pain.  All of that has gone forever.”  Revelation 21:4

 “God heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.” Psalms 147:3

My hope and prayer to you is that you would keep close to your love ones and appreciate the time you have with them…life is precious and so very short at times…

Love you all,

Karen

No comments: