Wednesday, February 20, 2008

BYE LOLA (GRANDMA)


We made it back home from San Fran tonight. The funeral went well..short and sweet and I learned a few things about my grandma that I didn't know... like how she negotiated with Japanese soldiers during WWII to spare her family, and how she rounded up my dad and his 2 siblings to escape while in the Philippines. I learned that she once found a parachute that she used to make curtains and pajamas for my grandpa. And how she decided to make a cheesecake and put Cheez Whiz on top for frosting! I love the photos of my grandma as a young lady....she was beautiful and I will miss her.

It was good to see cousins, aunts and uncles who I had not seen in 20 years. Unfortunately, due to last minute scheduling conflicts, we had to leave after the funeral and could not join the family for the awesome asian buffet. Bummer! We started the drive home which ultimately took 15 hours but we spent the night with our friends while we picked up Harvard. On the way home, we were starving by the time we hit Gila Bend and stumbled upon the retro Space Age restaurant. It looked like something you'd see on Route 66 (or in Disneyland!) so we stopped and had a good lunch. Apparently it was built in 1964.

I'm glad to be back home and I think I've had enough of long drives for awhile...although we enjoy our road trips together. I feel like even though we did some sight-seeing in San Fran, I never really got to relax due to the purpose of our trip and we are all totally exhausted and drained now that we're home. All 3 of my boys are conked out snoring and I'm about to do the same. ha!

2 comments:

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Wow...your grandma seemed like an awesome person! In a little while we'll all be home together--an old Amy Grant song...just a little while...may you find comfort in God's promises...

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother's passing. It sounds like she had a beautiful memorial service! What a special woman!

Hope you are able to get some rest! :)

Adrienne