Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Chinese New Year Celebration




Ni hao!

Last Sat., we went to Tucson's Chinese cultural center for their New Year celebration. It was packed...way more crowded than last year. I turned the camera over to Don so I could take Nate to play carnival games and stand (for an hour) in the appetizer food line. Grrr! It was fun but next year we'll come earlier. I was little bummed to miss all the entertainment but my asian genes must be wearing off on Don because he took some great photos! Oh and by the way....yes, Nate's pants are supposed to be cropped. haha. This is the last outfit we got from China and it's bittersweet to know he's nearly outgrown it.

Nate seems to be embracing his chinese heritage a little more. At first he did not appear interested in learning the language or the customs. But I think it helps that he has 2 other asian boys in his class and I told him it's pretty awesome that he can now say "I love you" in 4 different languages....one for each of us (English, Filipino, Chinese, & Amharic). We bought the African Playground cd and he LOVES the songs. Asks to listen to them over & over. He can even sing one of the songs Jambo Bwhana, almost completely in Swahili.

I have always had an interest in different cultures. Even in America, it's fascinating to me how people do things differently or eat different foods. I grew up thinking everyone made the tacos the same way our family did and was shocked when I found out that a friend's family made them a different way. Earth shattering, I know. haha. Did you know that when you travel east, you have to ask for unsweetened tea? And if you travel west, you have to ask for it sweetened (and according to hubby, it's not the same "sweet" as in the south). Mexican food in Arizona is WAY different than Mexican food in the midwest. In Arizona we have Indian Fry Bread (Native American made) and back east, I had never heard of perogies until a friend introduced me to them. In Tucson kids get off school for Rodeo Days. I thought that was weird, because I had never heard of that in Phoenix, until a native born Tucsonan told me why. Back in the day, schools would participate in the rodeo parade and families, in the rodeo itself. There were so many kids absent, they made it an official local holiday.

I'm fortunate to have a hubby, who although he doesn't have an ear for learning other languages, he has a love for all cultures, travel and a genuine interest in people. Always look forward to another adventure!

No comments: