Tuesday, June 1, 2010

On a Roll

Hey! I know you!

While we are waiting for our adoption app to be approved, we are getting our paperwork ducks in order. There are about 25 items that need to be notarized, then state sealed, then embassy sealed for Ethiopia. Fun, fun paperwork. We've contacted our homestudy agency...same one as with Nate...and they are looking forward to working with us again. More paperwork to fill out for them too. At least this time around, we can refer to Nate's dossier to see what we have to do. After 3 years, I had put all that in the back of my mind!

In the meantime, my licensed art is really taking off. Thanks to God for all the contracts I've been able to sign & products that are selling. We were able to pay off the LAST CREDIT CARD!! Yippee!!! We were also able to set aside some of that royalty check to start our adoption...put toward our other car...our commitment to our church AND.......unexpectedly, a new Mac....and a visit to the computer doc for my external hard drive. When it hits...it all hits!

I had all my art files...I mean ALL of them backed up on an external hard drive & the thing crashed. Of course, that was right when a client needed some of that art for a big buyer review!!!! Fortunately, my agent had some of the files I had to modify for them, but.....I still need to retrieve my files off the drive! The plan was to get a new Mac & transfer the files to it, but the stupid hard drive crashed before I could do it. My new Mac has 1T of memory on it! I don't even really know what that means except it's a wicked amount of Gigabytes! I could've stored all my art on this new computer instead of using an external, & backed it up online. Now I may have to shell out another $500 just to get the files! The sad thing is...I NEED them & I'm praying like mad that they can be recovered. Otherwise....I will literally have to re-create every single piece of art, from scratch. Can you say *OUCH!*

So....learn from my mistake...don't rely on an external hard drive as backup!

I love my new iMac though. It's fast & has a gianormous 27" screen so I can really see the art I'm designing and will hold all my massive files. Seriously, one art file can be over 200 MB! And I have to design 4 to make up just one collection...add to that all the collections I've done over the past 4 years & that's a lot of memory. I've had a great deal of interest in the Men's Inspirational collection I just finished. One client wants to present my art to the Dollar Tree buyer (nationwide) and another wants to present my art to their K-Mart & Wal-Mart buyer! Let's hope the buyers like it!!

Well I'm rambling & it's almost midnight....thought so...my stomach always starts growling around midnight. Time for a little late night snack & then I should probably put down my new "toy" & get some sleep! I was having a little too much fun experimenting with it's new iPhoto Booth app!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Too bad.Common disease for HD and external HD. Indeed I've learnt from your mistake. It's crucial to backup online, so I begun at www.safecopbackup.com. They have 3GB free which never expires for trial. ooh my! It's a huge peace of mind.

Don and Denise Sullivan said...

Thanks for the tip!!

MOM said...

Sorry to hear about the computer glitch, hope you can get it retrieved. Congrats on the two clients who are interested in those BIG BUYERS, one of which we talked about earlier. That would be fantastic. We'll be praying for success in that area. More success just around the corner, just a few stumbling blocks in the way, you can do it!!

Sharon said...

OMGosh!! Such big news, SOO happy for you all! Love all the amazing things happening to you. God Bless ALWAYS!!!