Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fun in the HOT Sun

Faceplant!!

Last night, one of our close friends took Don to the Diamondbacks game. I had the rare occasion of no band practice so I tagged along up to Phoenix and took Nate on the town. Phoenix has a great outdoor mall called Desert Ridge with a splash fountain....PERfect for summer heat (113 in the afternoon). Nate had an awesome time and played for over an hour before he was shaking from the cold water. We shared slider burgers for dinner, treated ourselves to ice cream and checked out a toy store that had a play area.

At about 8:30pm, there was a loud POP and the entire mall went black. The sun had just set so we were in darkness. The retailers were rushing people out of the stores & locking up before people got the idea to shoplift. I feel sorry for the people stuck in the restaurants with half eaten food...it was pretty dark in there too. Plus it was still 105 at 8:30pm and with no air conditioning....well, you get the picture. I wonder how they got everyone out of the movie theater too! The surrounding neighborhoods were out as well & it was a crazy madhouse trying to navigate through lines of cars, out of the mall. People seem to forget the concept of 4-way stops when the traffic lights go out & I held my breath going through intersections, hoping no one would hit me!

I had to figure out what to do with Nate because the game wouldn't be over for another 2 hours! So I drove to a Barnes & Noble at another mall & let him play in the kids section. That entertained him....it was funny....I thought he'd be really grumpy for having to stay up way past his bedtime, but he was treating it like an older kid who had the rare opportunity to stay up late! He was in a great mood, even though I could tell he was getting tired.

Sadly, the DBacks lost to the Yankees (boo!) but it was a fun night and special treat to get out of dodge.

No comments: