Thursday, June 11, 2009

WHO TURNED THE LIGHT ON??

A friend told me that there's a point in toddlerhood when a light bulb goes off in their brain and suddenly they realize...

I have the ability to make choices

I can make decisions

I can have an opinion!

I think we just crossed that bridge with Nate. Suddenly my fairly compliant 2 yr old has decided to make use of phrases like:

"No, I do this!" or "No, I do that!" Both of which are sometimes accompanied by a nice little frustration tantrum if I tell him "No". The other day, I was sitting in our recliner and he climbed up with me. He was happy and we were playing and then he slid off onto the floor. Immediately he turned around with a sad face and said "Up please!" I was still in "play" mode and asked "You want up??" He got a big 'ol frown and I pulled him up onto the chair.

Ohhhh, but that wasn't good enough! He arched his back, screamed and his face turned beet red, crying. I looked at him like, what demon just possessed my son? ha. This continued for several minutes. I wasn't even touching him, he just writhed in my lap like that. Finally he stopped crying and was watching tv so I said, "Are you done crying?"

Whoops...wrong thing to ask. He immediately showed me that he was NOT finished with his tantrum. By that time I wasn't amused anymore so I told him he could sit on his step stool in the bathroom by himself until he was finished crying. Soooo, he screamed & cried for 5 min. until he stopped. I came in and said...

Are you finished crying?
*shakes head no*
Do you need to cry some more?
*shakes head yes*
Ok, stay there till your finished.

5 more min. of crying and then he stops again.

Are you done crying?
Yes
Do you feel better now?
Yes *smile*

I guess he just needed to get it all out. haha.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

It sounds like the same "demon" has posessed our child too! How funny that all of our kids are doing this at the same time!
Grace is so strong willed!!!

Pat Ramos said...

Welcome to Parenting!!! Be glad that he finally stopped! How could my cute grandson do this, he's sooo quiet! Moving onto the three year olds I guess. Testing you too.

RamblingMother said...

Everybody needs to cry sometimes!