Wednesday, November 12, 2008

NO SLEEP FOR THE WEARY

It's 5am and I've already been up for over 2 hours. At 2:45am, my brain kicked into gear and I just couldn't go back to sleep. I know I will regret this when Nate gets up...naturally, I'll probably want to sleep about that time! Nate's behavior has digressed this past week and I couldn't stop thinking..trying to figure out what the problem is. After re-evaluating OUR behavior and actions and pouring over "Toddlerwise", I've determined it's due to what we're doing or not doing.

Nate's been exhibiting typical 2-yr old behavior....challenging instructions, throwing crying fits when he is required to do something he doesn't want to do, becoming very clingy in public, resisting independent play time and demanding constant attention. Part of it is his age-stage, part of it is because he's not feeling that great due to allergies and part of it is because we got out of routine again and allowed way too many freedoms for his age. One example is he used to be very compliant about staying on a blanket and playing with toys but now he has become defiant about it. I noticed it's because we became lax about consistency in expecting him to STAY on the blanket, so he thinks it's ok to get off it whenever he's tired of being on it.

So today we have the fun job of gritting our teeth from our mistakes and re-implementing boundaries, consistent discipline and structure. Fun, fun. On top of that, I have worship practice tonight and I think I will probably be spending more time chasing a wayward toddler as we attempt to reinforce blanket time. Ah well...sometimes mom and dad have to be re-trained!

Now I'm going to try and catch a little bit of sleep before Nate has to get up.

No comments: