Sunday, October 12, 2008

TWO YR DISCOVERIES



Just this week, Nate has suddenly wanted ME. I've heard how kids go to mom for nuturing and dad for play but we haven't really experienced that until now. When I walk into the living room, Nate runs to me, holds up his arms and says "Up!" If I sit down in the living room, he wants to be on my lap. If dad's holding him and he sees me, he immediately wants me to hold him. I am loving this newfound affection but at the same time, not used to seeing it from Nate. If I held him in the past, he only wanted to play...honking my nose, jumping on my lap or climbing all over me. Now, he'll sit with me and I can hug him and give him plenty of kisses and he relishes it! He also shows this to Don...running to him, throwing his arms around him and turning his face to his so he can give a big kiss. It's very cool to see him showing us love. It's funny though...he'll be friendly around other people until I show up and then all of sudden, he's clingy and wants nothing to do with anyone else. ha!

One thing I need to do is get Nate more socially involved and interacting with other kids during the week. He does well in the nursery but that's not enough. He needs to start learning how to interact and play with other kids more. Now here's a funny thing about Nate and his new bed. At the grandparents house, he would get out of his trundle bed in the morning and play with his toys until I came to get him. At home, he will stay in his bed until one of us gets him out! He has not fallen out of bed yet (knock on wood), stays under the covers and some mornings he will be awake and sitting up in his bed until I come in and say, "You know you can get up and play with your toys until I come to get you." ha! (he sleeps with the bedroom door closed). Everything I thought he would do, he's done the opposite. Cracks me up.

Tomorrow (Mon.) I am taking Nate to a working farm and pumpkin patch. I can't wait! I've wanted to do this for years and now that I have a kid, it's an even better excuse!

He can't stand to have ANYTHING in his shoes!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Welcome to "cling-dom". Grace has been this way forever and just like Nate she is being more affectionate. Its such a nice change from being "on the go" all of the time. Have fun at the pumpkin patch- we went this weekend and Grace LOVES the horse she met. She refused to touch him but talked about him for hours!