Wednesday, October 15, 2008

STORYTIME

I've been wanting to introduce Nate to more toddler events besides the playgrounds. Today I took him to storytime at our library. It was a lot of fun and he had a good time but I also see areas that I need to work with him. I realized that every time he's around other kids, it's always play time...running everywhere at his leisure. We walked into storytime and it was obvious the other kids were used to going. They were sitting or standing with their moms or sitting up front listening to the story. Nate, on the other hand, did not know how to join in on the songs and hand motions and started wandering...obviously not very interested in the storyteller (and she was good too!)

I tried to redirect him to participate but it was like trying to nail down jello! Finally, by the end of storytime, he began participating in the hand motions and songs. On one song we all had to get in a circle and walk, hop, run. He got so excited when it was time to run that he forgot to stop when the song said "Stop!" So he was yelling "WHEEEEEEE!!" and ran smack into the mom in front of us! I busted up laughing, it was so funny.

This week I've decided to have a story/song time every day, during the library storytime hours. Hopefully that will help Nate realize that there's a time to focus and a time to play. Right now, he thinks it's always play time when he's with other kids because that's all he knows. I know he can do it...he just needs to be taught. He also needs to be taught to share. We try to keep on top of this but it's hard. He thinks every toy he's playing with is his and his only. If another child tries to play with it, he snatches it away. I know this is part of the 2's realm and eventually, he'll get it.

I'm glad I went today because it really helped me to see what Nate needs to be learning and what he's capable of. He can now count to 10 and is starting to learn his ABC's. Fun times..ha!

1 comment:

Pat Ramos said...

Oh my, he can count to 10 already? No more baby Nate!!