Saturday, October 11, 2008

GOOD READ



I love to read, although I haven't read anything in a long time....until I spied this book at Costco yesterday. I read it in one afternoon/evening and really enjoyed it. Of course, I have to admit, the word "Starbucks" motivated me to pick it up. ha.

The book is a true story about a guy who was wealthy and appeared to have it all, only to lose it all over a series of circumstances. At one of his lowest points, he took a job at Starbucks, in an area that he refused to go to during his prosperous times, just to get by. Instead, he learned the value of humility, respect and love from the people he worked with along with the training values of Starbucks. It was a very inspiring story and I highly recommend it.

--------------
*UPDATE* The book is 265 pages...which sounds like a lot but it's such an easy and interesting read, it went by fast. Here's the first sentence of the book:

"The humble improve."-Wynton Marsalis "This is the true, surprising story of an old white man who was kicked out of the top of the American Establishment, by chance met a young African-American woman from a completely different background, and came to learn what is important in life."

3 comments:

Sam- Hypnotoad said...

How many pages is this? I would like to read it. So it's worth buying eh?

RamblingMother said...

I read this guys story in a newspaper article or magazine article maybe in AARP (my parents) and very abbreviated. I didn't know it was a book. I may have to pick it up. Oh and by my guest on the McCain Palin badge as I swiped it from someone else's blog.

Missie said...

I saw this man interviewed on Fox News last year and have wanted to read his book, but just haven't got to it yet. I'm glad to hear it is a good book.