Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 YEARS AGO....



....I was getting ready for another usual day of work in downtown Phoenix. Just as I was about to leave the house, the phone rang. It was one of my co-workers telling me not to come in to work. She said the U.S. was under attack. At first the words didn't even register. They seemed incredible..uncomprehensible. She said all the offices downtown were shut down due to potential bomb threats. Her words weren't making any sense and finally she asked, "Haven't you seen the news yet????" I turned on the tv and the image of a huge billowing cloud of smoke above a crumpled building, people running, news reporters in shock.....it was unreal. I just sat there for a long time in front of the tv not believing what I was seeing. Don was out of town on business and with all the airports shut down, I called him and we were solemn with the events of the morning. I remember going out later in the morning and the entire city of Phoenix was eerily quiet. And a day later, American flags were flying everywhere saying "We continue to stand united". 
Today we remember the innocent people who lost their lives in a malicious attack, the brave people who did all they could to save those lives and some who lost theirs in the process and the families and friends who lost someone they loved. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It enables us to express our feelings and opinions.