Wednesday, July 30, 2008

LOOKING BACK


THE START OF OUR JOURNEY

This day, one year ago, we had our bags packed and were getting ready to fly 1/2 way around the world to China. I can't believe where the time has gone. Has it really been a year already? I remember wondering what life would be like a year after we had Nate. It's funny, but I feel as though he has always been a part of us. The newness has worn off and it is as if we've been living life with him since Day 1. I was looking back at my post exactly one year ago. This is a portion of what I wrote:

Yes folks, reality is hitting hard. Your mind begins thinking of your "firsts" & "lasts". This is our last night as just the 2 of us...the last time I'll be sitting on our porch steps not having to think about whether my son is waking up from his nap yet....last time I'LL really get to enjoy a long nap (ha!)....last time to really be spontaneous.

On the other hand, I think about that INCREDIBLE feeling the first time I see my child's face....first time I see him laugh and call me "mom"....first time he and Harvard get to play tug of war....first time for him at Disneyland!!!! Yeeeah baby!! (had to throw that one in there).


I had to smile as I thought of how I've already experienced his first laugh, first time to call me "mama" and how it warmed my heart, first time he and Harvard played tug of war and how I was dying laughing at the two of them, first time to take him to Disneyland and his eyes so huge at the sights. I also remember that anxious feeling getting ready to leave for China. Sometimes I wonder, "Did we really go there?" It's almost like a distant dream now and other times I remember the smells, sounds and sights.

In a few days, we will celebrate our official Gotcha Day anniversary with Nate. Not sure how to celebrate yet but we have a few ideas. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Sam- Hypnotoad said...

Wow, a year? Dang, time is going by so fast. I can't believe Alyssa is going to be 3 next week! Whew!

Sharon said...

Congratulations!! I can't beleive its been a whole year!! I loved this post! Change is always a little scary even when its going to be the best things in our lives!!

Michelle McKinney said...

Sweet, sweet post. It does feel like they've always been with us.