Friday, April 18, 2008

SERIOUSLY NOW...






Our little boy DOES like to laugh....I just keep catching him in his serious mode and after I snap the photo, he smiles and laughs. Every morning when he gets up, he wants to be wrapped up in this blanket to watch his Baby Einstein show while I fix breakfast. It's a special blanket to me because we've had it since I was a baby and it was one of my favorites. It's amazing how quickly Nate is learning these days. It used to take him a week to learn a new sign and not without a lot of crying and frustration. Lately, when I show him a new sign, he'll mimic it right back to me! He's now signing "More" and "Drink" and I'm sure he would do more but it helps him to have a purpose and visual to go with it. He won't do a sign out of the blue. There has to be a reason for him to say "More" or "Please". Today he stared imitating the hand motions to a Baby Einstein song, "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round & Round" and he's mimicking more words now, not just sounds. He'll be talking before we know it. We now have to be careful and watch our language. haha. The other night, he was playing with a couple other kids and one of them started crying. It sounded like Nate, but I wasn't really sure. I came in and said, "Nate were you crying or was J.J. crying?"....a rhetorical question of course b/c I really didn't think he'd understand. To my surprise, he pointed right at J.J. and held the pose, very deliberately! However, I did notice some tears in his eyes so I don't think he was being entirely truthful. ha! Not that an 18 mo. old knows the difference. Later that night he got in trouble b/c he refused to come when we called him. I walked him over to where I was standing...not very gently or comfortably, so he would get the picture. But I left it at that because I knew he was really tired. As I was getting my stuff together to leave, I looked over at him and he had placed himself in timeout! He was standing with his nose to the wall so I had to tell him timeout was over so he'd leave! Crazy kid! He's getting smarter by the minute.

Tomorrow is a big day. We're going up to Phoenix for a CHI adoption picnic (Arizona chapter) and I'm really excited to meet other families who've adopted. It's at a fun park that has a train, carousel and other rides too. Later that night, we're taking Nate to his first Diamondbacks baseball game! He has his jersey and everything and it's Faith & Family night with a performance by Todd Agnew after the game. Not sure we'll be able to see it because it will too late and Sunday starts pretty early. Looking forward to it and hope that Nate is not too cranky with all the overstimulation. We just have to figure out how to keep his nap in the afternoon!

No comments: