Monday, January 28, 2008

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS




We started our new series last Sunday, "Behind Closed Doors - The Impact of Sex in our Families and Culture". It went better than I thought. First off, the worship center was PACKED. In fact, one person had to leave because there were no more parking spaces! Last Sunday was "For Men Only - what women want their husbands to know about sex". We did a partial Q&A type interview where Don asked me questions. I do not like public speaking and will only do it if I'm prepared way in advance, but for whatever reason, I actually felt at ease considering the subject matter. After we got home, I thought about the stuff we talked about and suddenly I thought, "I can't believe I had the guts to say what I said". ha! I think the Holy Spirit was definitely speaking through me that morning. We wanted to do the questions sitting at a coffee shop type table and several people said it helped them feel more relaxed about the message. A friend of ours who works at Starbucks, brought us our favorite drinks after we sat down. Everyone knows we're Starbucks junkies so it was pretty funny. I told everyone we ordered iced drinks because of the hot and heavy subject. ha!

It's a strange feeling to be speaking so candidly on this subject and look out at the people, just hanging on every word. I wish we could've touched a lot more bases but given the time constraints, we had to stick with a general overview. Our conservation was based on a statement from the book "For Men Only" by Shanti Feldhahn, which said, (and I paraphrase because I don't have the book in front of me)...Sex for women has to do with the physical differences, the need for closeness outside the bedroom and the need for anticipation time. What it all boils down to is that most women (not all) do not have that spontaneous desire for sex and their desire for sex increases when their husbands continue to court them daily, show that they love them without having sex and give them time to anticipate sex so they can begin re-charging those batteries! Of course there's so much more depending on different situations in a couple's life, but this was just the basic premise. We're thinking of posting more comments and information on our church website that we didn't have time to touch on during the service.

This coming Sunday we talk about "For Women Only - what husbands want their wives to know about sex". We're going to do the Q&A style again. We're also going to try and get the sermons posted on the website for anyone to listen to. Right now, you have to be a member to hear them. If you don't go to our church and want a cd, email me separately with your address and I'll try to get you one (email: ddsullivan2@msn.com).

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I admire your candor. I would balk I think. SOuther roots and all! lol