Monday, December 10, 2007

PARENTING LESSONS




Ever since the panda episode we've had several people suggest we get backups...which I think is an excellent idea. We really had no idea how much he had bonded with that bear. Just thought it was a favorite toy but not realizing it was a lifeline for him. I had a teddy bear when I was 2 that I slept with. I remember feeling like I just couldn't do without it. However, when I was 9, I started weaning myself from my bear. I'd put it at the foot of my bed & try to sleep by myself. Eventually, I was able to sleep without it but I remember feeling lonely, afraid and insecure when I didn't have it. Funny how having a child reminds you of those things.

Tonight we went out on a much needed date. We are fortunate that our jobs allow us to work from home and be flexible with our schedules to take care of Nate. Since we don't have to pay for daycare or a sitter, it also means we are with him 24/7. Don & I have 17 years of spontaneity to overcome. If we wanted to go to a movie, we just up & went...no matter what time of day or when it was playing. Now we've entered the new realm of the "P" word....PLANNING. Since we're paying for a babysitter, every minute is not to be wasted. It better be a movie worth going to, to justify the expense and the time spent PLANNING for our precious night out. Having a kid definitely makes you appreciate your night out. Before that, we didn't think twice about it. We used to go during the day for the matinee rates....not anymore...unless it's summer and the babysitters are out of school or not working. We're thankful to have a babysitter from our church who Nate likes and we feel very comfortable with. She even made her own dinner and iced tea while we were out (in our rush to clean the house, we forgot to make it). We tried taking Nate to a matinee movie once, thinking he would fall asleep in the dark theater. No such luck. He had a lot of fun wandering up & down the aisles while we (not having much fun) chased after him & tried to keep him entertained so as not to disturb everyone else.

The above photos are when I took Nate hiking. Now that the weather's cooled off during the day, it's perfect hiking weather here in AZ. However, I think he had more fun lifting these mungo rocks from one pile to the next. I have never seen a kid so bound & determined to conquer something. He'll find the biggest, heaviest thing he can and try to drag it or carry it. And he doesn't give up. He'll cry out in frustration but he will persist in trying to move the object. He's pretty strong too..be it carrying the cd case full of cds or a box twice as big as he is. He's so proud of himself when he accomplishes tasks.

I can't believe Nate is 14 months old now. He has figured out that the word "no" means he's not going to get what he wants. And he's learned that if we remove something from his hands, it means he doesn't get to play with it. Both of the above actions quickly produce a frustrated crying fit that may or may not continue for several minutes. Depends on his mood. He's also discovered that he can exhibit negative behavior in public and he doesn't get the same discipline that he does at home. The first time I corrected him for something in public, and he pushed my hand away in frustration with a cry, was an eye-opener for me. I don't care what the experts say...14 month old kids understand a heck of a lot more than people give them credit for. They learn cause & effect VERY fast.

It's fun teaching him stuff though. He knows how to give kisses now. Actually, he just opens his mouth and plants it on the side of your face...which ultimately leaves you with a sloppy wet spot on your cheek...but the smile on his face afterward is worth it.

2 comments:

RamblingMother said...

Yes 14months old know a whole lot more than experts give them credit for. He is adorable.

Beverly

Finally a Family of Four said...

He is such a sweetie!
Is he into trucks and cars yet??
Grant loved the Little People garage at that age. He would just sit on the floor and play for hours with them.